Stitching the applique design. Method 1.
There are two methods that are used for stitching an applique design using the embroidery machine.
Methods one and two are interchangeable and are often a matter of personal choice.
Method three can only be used for designs specifically digitized for one-piece applique. Good for applique design where simple shapes make up most of the design.
1. Securely hoop the background fabric with stabilizer behind it.
2. Cut a piece of applique fabric slightly larger than the finished applique shape. Spray the wrong side of the applique fabric with temporary adhesive; secure it right side up on the hooped background fabric.
3. Stitch the straight stitch outline of the applique design.
4. Remove the hoop from the machine, but do not remove the fabric from the hoop.
5. Carefully trim excess fabric from the outer edges of the applique shape without cutting into the background fabric.
6. Reattach the hoop to the machine and sew the satin or blanket stitch outline around the design, covering the placement stitch.
7. Continue stitching the remainder of the applique design, changing thread colors as needed.