This relates only to machines with a removable bobbin case. As a precaution to losing the small screw in the bobbin case, hold the bobbin case over a small container lined with a tissue.
1. Place a bobbin filled with standart thread in the bobbin case and hold the bobbin case so the open side faces left.
2 Use a small screwdriver to loosen the screw on the side of the case by turning it a few milimetres to the left.
3. test the tension by suspending the bobbin case by the bobbin thread passed through the spring in the normal way. For the majority of bobbin work, the thread must run freely. This means the spring will not support the weight of the bobbin case.
4. If you wish to return the bobbin tension to normal, make a not of how mush the tension was loosened. Remember right is light, left is loose.
- If you plan to do a lot of bobbin work, it way be worth having an extra bobbin case kept specifically for the purpose.
- Consult the machine manual if you own a machine with a drop-in bobbin, as some of these will not take kindly to having their lower tension changed.